Common Tax Forms

On This Page: Form W-2Form 1042-SForm 1098-T

You may receive some of the following forms at the beginning of each calendar year, which will be submitted as part of the tax filing process.

When using Sprintax to file your return, the program will ask for the information on these forms to create your tax filing forms.

If you have questions about the forms below, please contact the Payroll office.

Form W-2 or "Wage and Tax Statement"

This form reports how much income you received from wages and salary from your employer. It also states how much has already been withheld from your income for taxes. Your University of Arizona W-2 is available through UAccess Employee at If you did not sign up to receive your W-2 electronically, you should have received your W-2 through regular mail.

Form 1042-S

This form is used by the university to report to the IRS:

  1. Salaries and wages that are exempt from Federal income tax due to a treaty between the employee's country of residence and the United States
  2. Scholarship or fellowship that is taxable or exempt from Federal income tax under an income tax treaty

Scholarship or fellowship grants that are used to pay certain expenses such as tuition, registration and other mandatory fees are not taxable, and not reportable on Form 1042-S. For more information, read Frequently Asked Questions About the 1042-S Form.

Form 1098-T

For most international students, the 1098-T is not a form you can use for tax filing. The 1098-T (Tuition Statement) is a summary of all of the fees that you have paid to the university during the tax year. It can only be used by residents for tax purposes to claim educational tax credits when filing a tax return.

Determining your Tax Residency

In general:

  • F and J student visa holders are considered non-resident aliens during their first five calendar years in the U.S.
  • J professors and researchers, are considered non-resident aliens during their first two calendar years in the U.S.

If you are considered a non-resident alien using the rule above, you cannot file the 1098-T with your tax return and can disregard the Bursar's email.