Health Insurance

The University of Arizona requires all international students on a nonimmigrant visa to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan through Campus Health. You will be automatically enrolled and billed for insurance every fall and spring semester within 3 business days of registering for classes for that term.

Learn more about the Student Health Insurance Plan.

J-1 Immigration Requirement

If you are in J-1 status, you must have health insurance during your entire stay in the U.S. If you have dependents in the U.S on J-2 visas, they are also required to carry health insurance. Not carrying insurance that meets the minimum requirements is a violation of your status and can result in termination of your SEVIS record.

Below are the minimum requirements that the health insurance plan for you and your dependents should meet according to the immigration regulations (22 C.F.R. § 62.14). These requirements are also explained on page 2 of the Form DS-2019.

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

J-1 Students: You will be insured through Campus Health. The coverage plan offered meets the minimum requirements. 

J-2 Dependents: J-2 spouses and children cannot be insured through Campus Health. You must purchase private insurance for them. When purchasing a private health insurance plan you must make sure it meets the requirements above. Most insurance plans do not include repatriation and medical evacuation, so you might have to purchase additional coverage.

Learn more about healthcare and insurance for dependents.