Change of Level

On This Page: When to ApplyApply for AdmissionRequest a Change of Level I-20TravelEmployment • Immigration Tutorial

If you are an F-1 student admitted to a new degree program at the University of Arizona, you must request a Change of Education Level I-20.

If you are a J-1 student admitted to a new degree program at the University of Arizona, meet with an international student advisor discuss your options.

When to Apply

If you are completing your current degree or on a period of post-completion OPT, you must request the change of level before the end of your 60-day grace period. The new degree program must begin within 5 months of the end date of your current program or period of post-completion OPT.

If you do not apply for a change of level before the end of your grace period, or if your new program is more than 5 months in the future, we cannot process your change of level request. You must leave the U.S. and request an initial I-20. You will be required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee for your new SEVIS number, and apply for a new visa if your previous visa is expired.

Apply for Admission

For graduate degree programs, review Graduate College Application Procedures for instructions. 

For law programs, you must apply directly to the James E. Rogers College of Law.

Request a Change of Level I-20

After admission, complete these steps before the end of your 60-day grace period:

  1. Meet with an international student advisor.
  2. Accept your admission to the program in GradApp (under “My Applications”).
  3. Review the information in the Change of Address, Personal Contact Information and Emergency Contacts e-forms and submit any necessary changes.
  4. Submit the Change of Level e-form. If you have not yet received your diploma for your current degree program, you must enter your advisor's information so we can confirm your expected degree completion date.


If you are approved for a change of level, your SEVIS number will remain the same, and you do not have to leave the U.S. before your new degree program, even if the visa in your passport has expired. However, if you choose to travel outside the U.S. before the beginning of the new program and your visa is expired, you must renew your visa in order to reenter the U.S.


If you are a currently enrolled student going directly from one degree program to another (for example, finishing your bachelor’s in the spring and beginning your master’s in the fall) you will continue to have on-campus employment authorization after your Change of Education Level I-20 has been issued. However, there may be other university policies regarding enrollment requirements for student workers that apply. Please check with your university employer.

If you are on post-completion OPT, your OPT authorization will end when your new degree program begins, even if it is before your EAD card's end date.

Immigration Tutorial

As part of the requirements for maintaining your status, you are required to complete the Immigration Tutorial again. You will be granted access to the tutorial in D2L 2 weeks before your program start date.

Important The tutorial is due by your I-20 start date. If not completed by the deadline, a hold will be placed on your account, preventing any registration changes.