Local Laws & Safety

As University of Arizona employees, we cannot provide legal advice. If you have questions about any of the information listed below, contact ASUA Legal Services, a free service offered to all currently enrolled students, for a 30-minute consultation with a lawyer.

Local Laws

Traffic Regulations

You must learn local traffic laws before driving or biking. Observe all road signs, and know that going over the speed limit by even a little bit gives a police officer the right to pull you over.

Car Insurance and Registration

The state of Arizona requires that every motor vehicle be covered by insurance. If you are driving someone else’s car or renting a car, make sure your insurance includes this coverage. Keep a copy of your insurance and your registration in the car’s glovebox at all times and register your car annually.

Police Traffic Stops

If a police car wants you to pull over while driving, they will flash their lights. Pull over onto the right shoulder as soon as you safely can. Remain in the vehicle and give the officer your driver’s license, international driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration.

Traffic Accidents

Never leave the scene of an accident until you’ve made contact with any other affected drivers or, in some circumstances, the police— even if the accident isn’t your fault.

Driving Under the Influence

Arizona also has particularly strict laws regarding driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI). An arrest for a DUI could affect your immigration status; if you’re arrested for a DUI, contact a private attorney or a public defender immediately. If you can’t reach a lawyer yourself, ask your arresting officers to contact one for you.

In Arizona, domestic violence is defined as almost any criminal act of abuse (assault or battery, assault or battery with a weapon, criminal trespassing, disorderly conduct, threatening, kidnapping, witness intimidation, etc.) committed by one family or household member against another. Even roommates can be cited for domestic violence.

If you are in imminent danger, are seriously injured and need medical assistance, call 911 (even if you are on campus, calling 911 will connect you with law enforcement and emergency services).

If you are a student, faculty, or staff member, you can also contact Survivor Advocacy for support.

A valid Arizona hunting or fishing license is required for taking wildlife (including fish) in Arizona.

International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. and should, generally speaking, not purchase an Arizona resident hunting license, however, please contact an attorney to verify what type of license might be appropriate for your specific situation.

More information on Arizona hunting and fishing licenses can be found on the Arizona Game and Fish website.

Drinking Age

The legal drinking age in Arizona is 21. Be prepared to show a valid picture ID proving you are 21 or older when ordering (or possessing) alcoholic beverages at local drinking establishments. The same is true when drinking at a party in someone else’s apartment.

Tobacco-Free University

The University of Arizona is smoke and tobacco free. This policy applies to university students, faculty, employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors on its campuses and in its vehicles. Smoking and Tobacco Policy


The quickest way to obtain professional help for any type of emergency, day or night, is to call 911. If calling from a cell phone, you will get the local emergency telephone system. Identify the location as the University of Arizona and you will immediately be connected to the University of Arizona Police Department.

When calling to report an emergency, stay calm, identify yourself, and carefully explain the problem and location to the dispatcher. Remain on the phone until the dispatcher tells you to hang up. If you cannot stay on the line, tell the dispatcher that you must leave and where you can be reached.

University of Arizona Police Department

  • UAPD provides law enforcement and security services to the campus community. Visit Safety Tips for ways to make life safer and more secure.

Alerts & Communication

  • Emergency “blue light” phones are located throughout the campus with direct access to UAPD.

  • UAlert is a free service that delivers emergency alerts to registered users – as well as their friends and family – via their cell phones and/or email accounts during a campus emergency.

  • The LiveSafe app provides real-time interaction for those reporting security and safety concerns. Download the LiveSafe app on Apple and Android devices.


  • ASUA Safe Ride provides a free safe, night-time method of transportation to all university-affiliated persons on and around the main campus.

  • The Cat Tran shuttle service operates on-campus and an express service to off-campus lots.

  • Night Cats by Lyft offers eligible students, faculty and staff free Lyft rides starting and ending on campus, Safeway on Broadway, or Walmart at El Con Mall.

Dean of Students Office

  • The Dean of Students Office provides programs designated to guide students in areas of health and safety protocols.

  • The SafeCats Program is a proactive educational campaign that disperses safety-related information on and off campus.

  • Student Assistance helps students who face complex issues and crises that could affect their ability to remain successful.

  • Public CARE Reports for reporting students who are struggling with academic, personal, or emotional difficulties or who may be exhibiting worrisome or other concerning behavior.

  • The Incident Report Referral Form for reporting violations of the Student Code of Conduct.

For additional resources and information, visit Campus Safety & Wellness.