Frequently Asked Questions

Review the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information about available services and your responsibilities as a sponsored student at the University of Arizona. When in doubt, contact the Sponsored Programs team for help.

Following the rules of both your sponsor and the University of Arizona

Understanding what your sponsor requires of you!

  • Does your sponsor require you to submit your schedule each term?
  • Are you allowed to enroll in online and/or hybrid courses?
  • Are you allowed to study a second major?
  • Are you allowed to change your major?

Asking if you have any questions about the terms and conditions of your sponsorship

Maintaining full-time status

  • Make sure that you are fully registered and meeting the immigration requirements. Your sponsor, however, may require that you enroll for MORE than the minimum number of hours required under immigration regulations. Concurrent Enrollment for undergraduate students will require sponsor approval.

Being familiar with the Important Dates and Deadlines for each semester

  • If you need to add and/or drop a class, please make sure you visit both and for the complete lists of important dates and deadlines for each term.
  • You are responsible for getting any necessary approval from your sponsor before making any changes to your schedule.

Responding promptly when ISS reminds you to update your Financial Guarantee and Release of Information form

  • ISS will send email reminders when your Financial Guarantee or Release of Information form needs to be updated. It is your responsibility to respond to these requests promptly.
  • If both of these forms are not current, ISS cannot bill your sponsor for your tuition.

Checking your bursar’s account frequently, especially before registration

  • Your Bursar account is your student financial account.
  • You are responsible to check your Bursar account balance regularly, at least once a month.
  • You will also receive monthly statements from the Bursar’s Office. Do not send these to your sponsor.
  • You are responsible to pay for any outstanding balance you owe that is not covered by your sponsor such as parking citations, Campus Health charges, library fines, and late registration fees.

Checking your UA email account frequently

  • Remember that your UA email address is the official email used by all University of Arizona offices to contact you. Check your UA email account regularly. The more you communicate with us, your sponsor, and your Academic Advisor, the more successful you will likely be.

Being aware of holds

  • Holds may be placed on your account to prevent you from registering for courses or from being able to obtain an official transcript. The most common holds are: outstanding balance, academic standing, immigration.
  • Be sure to check your holds in UAccess well in advance of your next priority registration.
  • A “hold” is placed when you are required to do something. It is your responsibility to see a Sponsored Student Advisor if you have questions about a hold on your account.


  • You are responsible for the duration of your lease whether you decide to live on or off campus. Lease agreements vary so make sure that you are familiar with the policies and duration of stay for your specific housing arrangement. Once you sign your lease agreement, whether on or off campus, it is unlikely that you will be able to end your agreement early if you are unsatisfied with your living arrangements. See (on campus) or (off campus).

The University of Arizona requires ALL international students to purchase UA Student Health Insurance.

Once you are enrolled, you are automatically charged for the UA Student Health insurance.

Depending on your sponsor, you are either automatically exempt, your sponsor is billed the health insurance fee, or you are responsible for paying the health insurance fee out of pocket:

  • You may be exempt from UA Student Health Insurance if your sponsor’s health insurance has been approved by Campus Health, see
    • The Sponsored Programs team takes care of this process for you.
    • The cost of UA Student Health Insurance is waived for students of sponsors on this list.
  • You will need to contact Campus Health Services if you wish to enroll in an installment payment plan for your insurance. For current health insurance costs, see:

It is your responsibility to confirm if you are exempt or will need to enroll and/or pay for the UA Student Health Insurance. Please contact ISS if you have questions about who is paying for your UA Student Health Insurance.

It is your responsibility to make sure you have on file at the ISS office:

  • A current “Letter of Financial Guarantee” on file prior to the beginning of the semester in order for ISS to bill your Sponsor for tuition, fees and other expenses your sponsor has agreed to pay.
  • A current “Release of Information Form” (updated each year) which enables ISS to provide billing and other services.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a U.S. national law that protects the privacy of your student records. The University of Arizona takes privacy very seriously and does not release information unless there is a legal reason to do so, an emergency situation, or the student has given written consent.

In order to communicate with your sponsor about your academic progress or other inquiries, a valid Release of Information must be on file. We cannot bill your sponsor without this form on file.

Once ISS has on file a valid Release of Information and Financial Guarantee, ISS will move tuition and fees that your sponsor will pay from your UA Bursar account. (This transaction will show on your Bursar account as “transfer to third party.”)

About one month after the first day of classes, International Student Services (ISS) mails out the most updated student bill to your sponsor.

If you receive tuition fee statements from the Bursar’s office:

  • DO NOT mail them to your Sponsor.
  • Make sure your billing address in UAccess is your local Tucson address; NEVER your Sponsor’s address.

Please make sure you check your Bursar account frequently and contact the Sponsored Programs team if you have any questions.

There are two (2) online systems that you will need to use in order to request documents for your sponsor:

  • UAccess allows you to register for classes, check your Bursar account, verify holds, and order unofficial and official transcripts. Please log in to the website and check your account regularly.
  • MyGlobal is our online system for managing international student records. This is where you can submit the majority of immigration and sponsored related requests via e-forms.

  1. Log in to MyGlobal using your UA Net ID and password.
  2. Select the Sponsored Student section.
  3. Click the appropriate e-form and upload your document(s) online.

  1. Log in to MyGlobal using your UA Net ID and password.
  2. Submit the e-form of that best matches your request.