Undergraduate Students

I-20 Request Deadlines

  • Fall: July 1
  • Spring: November 20

Important Considerations:

  • If you are a SEVIS transfer, you must still submit your request by the deadline, even if your record will not be released to the University of Arizona until a later date.
  • Visa wait times vary by embassy/consulate. Submitting by the deadline does not guarantee that you will be able to receive a visa in time to travel to the U.S.

International Student Services is here to provide resources to make your time at the University of Arizona as beneficial as possible. Please follow the tabs below from top to bottom to learn exactly how to transition to life at the university. We’ve provided everything you need to know – from immigration and housing details, to travel arrangements and check-in.


Create Your NetID

After admission, the first thing you should do is create your NetID, NetID+ and password using the 8-digit student ID and PIN in your admission email. Your NetID will also be used for your university email (Catmail) in the format: NetID @arizona.edu. As an admitted student, this is the official means of communication between you and the university.

After you create your NetID, you must wait 48 hours before requesting your UArizona I-20.

Secure Your Spot and Register for Orientation

If you are a first-year or transfer admit, secure your spot in the Next Steps Center by paying the Enrollment Fee and registering for orientation. We will not issue your I-20 until completed.

Submit Your I-20 Request


  1. Launch MyGlobal.

  2. Open the Undergraduate I-20 Request e-form.

  3. Upload your passport biographical page.

  4. Upload your funding documents (bank statements from checking or savings accounts, or proof of scholarship/sponsorship).

  5. Upload your Declaration of Support (for funding from family/friends).

For funding documents, review the Financial Guarantee Requirement.

Transferring your F-1 SEVIS record from a school in the United States?

Provide the name and email address of the designated school official (DSO) at your current or previous school so we can send them an email with transfer instructions. You can find your DSO's name printed on your current I-20 under "School Attestation."

Our office is paperless, and we do not have a transfer-in form for your DSO to complete.

SEVIS school codes:

  • Main Campus (Tucson): PHO214F20092000
  • Chandler: PHO214F20092011
  • Douglas: PHO214F20092003
  • North Valley: PHO214F20092014
  • Sierra Vista: PHO214F20092002
  • Yuma: PHO214F20092015

Are your spouse or children planning to join you in the U.S. as your F-2 dependents?

You’ll need to submit copies of their:

  • Passport biographical pages
  • Proof of relationship (marriage certificate, birth certificate or passport listing the children’s parents)

The SEVIS I-901 fee, paid to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), is separate from visa application fees. After receiving your I-20, pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Print a copy of your receipt to bring to your visa interview.

Special Considerations:

  • Students with a country of birth/citizenship of Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, or Gambia cannot pay online and must pay by mail or Western Union Quick Pay. Mail service varies throughout the world, allow at least 2 weeks for delivery.
  • The fee is not required for SEVIS transfers or F-2 dependents.
  • If you already paid the SEVIS I-901 fee on a different SEVIS ID that you did not use, you can request a transfer of the fee to your new SEVIS ID within 12 months of the initial SEVIS fee payment. Learn more at I-901 SEVIS Fee Frequently Asked Questions ("How Can I-901 SEVIS Fee Paid on One SEVIS ID be Moved to Another SEVIS ID?").

    Visa processing times vary. Find the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy, then submit the online DS-160 form to apply for your F-1 visa.

    Review these resources to learn more about applying for your student visa:

    Special Considerations: 

    • SEVIS transfers are only required to apply for a new visa if you are outside the U.S. and your current visa has expired. 
    • Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are not required to apply for a student visa. 

    Visa Delays and Expedited Appointments 

    Information about requesting an expedited appointment is available on the State Department website. You can use the Visa & Entry Letter to try to request an expedited appointment. We cannot provide customized letters or contact the embassy or consulate to intervene in your visa application in any way. 

    If you are outside the U.S. and unable to enter for your starting term, contact your enrollment counselor to discuss your options, then submit the Change of Plans e-form.  

    Visa Denials  

    Receiving a visa denial can be frustrating, but that doesn't necessarily mean you’re at the end of your academic journey in the U.S. If your application is denied, the U.S. consulate or embassy will issue a letter explaining the denial reason. Common reasons for visa denials include insufficient financial support, missing or incorrect documentation, and failure to establish non-immigrant intent.  

    If your visa application is denied, you may be able to reapply for the visa after addressing the reasons for denial mentioned in the letter. If you’re not able to get another appointment before the start of the term, contact your enrollment counselor to discuss your options, then submit the Change of Plans e-form.  

     Learn more about visa denials on the U.S. Department of State website. 

    Students with a new initial I-20 can enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the start of the semester.

    After you have made travel plans, submit the Visa and Travel Update e-form to let us know.

    VISA AND Travel Update e-form

    Request a Ride from the Airport  

    Free airport rides from the Tucson International Airport will be available for new international students arriving for the spring 2024 semester.   

    You can request a free ride if you meet all of the criteria below: 

    • You are a new international student for spring 2024 

    • Your arrival date is between January 5-9, 2024 

    • Your arrival time is between 12pm and 10pm, Arizona time 

    Our Global Wildcat Welcome Team will be at the airport to help with your arrival and coordinate your ride.  

    Submit this form by Monday, January 1st. 

    If you are arriving outside these dates or times, know that the Tucson airport is easy to navigate and that taxis and app-based rides such as Lyft and Uber are also available. If you are arriving into Phoenix, you can pay to reserve a shuttle to Tucson from the Phoenix International Airport


    IMPORTANT Please check the Announcements page regularly for immigration updates.

    You should hand-carry the following documents to present at Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the U.S. Port of Entry:


    • I-20 (don't forget to print and sign!)
    • Passport with a valid visa (if applicable)


    • Funding documents
    • SEVIS I-901 Fee receipt (required for citizens of Canada and Bermuda)
    • Visa & Entry Letter

    Entry to the U.S. is at the discretion of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and CBP may require you to go through Secondary Inspection and/or choose to inspect your electronic devices to further verify the information. Since this may cause delays at your initial port of entry to the U.S., make sure you have enough travel time between any connecting flights.

    If you're entering the U.S. for the first time, Customs and Border Protection may check that you plan to attend the school specified on your F-1 visa. This requirement only applies to initial entry in F-1 status. 

    Read more about entry to the U.S. on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website: Student Process Steps: How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System.

    Customs and Border Protection creates an I-94 record for every nonimmigrant who enters the U.S. The I-94 shows your date of entry, visa category, and D/S for Duration of Status. "Duration of Status" means you may remain in the United States so long as you are maintaining your I-20 SEVIS record. It also gives you a 60-day grace period to leave the U.S. at the end of your program.

    Students Entering By Land: Within 7 days of entry through a land port of entry, you can apply and pay $6.00 for your I-94 online. Please be aware that the I-94 you obtain online is temporary and just the first step in completing the I-94 application. To obtain the final, legal-for-travel Form I-94, you will need to appear at a port of entry in person with your immigration documents. If you are entering via an airport, you do not need to apply for an I-94 in advance in order to access your record at the CBP website.

    To access your electronic I-94 record after entry:

    1. Go to the I-94 website.

    2. From the menu at the top, click “Get Most Recent I-94.”

    3. Enter all information exactly as it appears on your travel documentation you used to enter the U.S.

    4. Click “Next” to get your most recent I-94 record.

    You are required to carry evidence of your admission (entry) to the U.S. at all times. You can carry your passport with admission stamp, a print out of your electronic I-94, or your paper I-94 to satisfy this requirement.

    Orientation & Check-In

    As a new international student, you must attend a half-day Global Orientation the day before your University of Arizona orientation. During the Global Orientation program, you will learn about International Student Services, immigration requirements, cultural adjustment and the international student experience.

    You can register for your virtual Global Orientation and University of Arizona orientation programs with one click in the Next Steps Center. Sessions are offered in December and January. Please check your Next Steps Center for available orientation dates. Global Orientation will be the first day from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (MST).

    Readmitted students are not required to attend orientation.

    If you received a University of Arizona I-20, you must complete a check-in with International Student Services by your I-20 start date:

    1. Submit the Check-In e-form: Please complete this as soon as you arrive in the U.S. 

    1. Complete the Immigration Tutorial: Required for learning how to maintain your status as an international student. 

    IMPORTANT Failing to meet these requirements by the deadline may jeopardize your immigration status and will result in a hold on your account, blocking registration changes. 

    Need Help or Have Questions? 

    If you cannot arrive by your I-20 program start date, we strongly suggest you defer admission to a future term. However, if you do decide to arrive late, the latest you should arrive is one week after your program start date. 

    If you plan to arrive up to one week after your I-20 program start date, you can apply for a late arrival support letter. To request this letter, please complete the Late Arrival Letter Request e-form in MyGlobal by the first day of classes. While this letter doesn't guarantee entry, it may help to reduce the chances of being denied at the U.S. Port of Entry.

    Campus Health Requirements

    All University of Arizona students are required to have proof of 2 Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccines. You may receive your immunizations in your home country, however the immunization documentation you submit to Campus Health must be translated into English with Western calendar format dates. Please review the New Student Immunization Requirements page for details about MMR vaccination criteria.

    Learn More at Campus Health

    All international students registered for at least 1 unit must purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan. You will be automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan after you register for classes.

    If you will be in the United States before the effective date of the Student Health Insurance, we strongly recommend applying for early enrollment or purchasing private health insurance so you have coverage during the gap.

    Campus Health offers 2-week and 4-week early enrollment options for students arriving before the effective date.

    Learn More About Using Your Health Insurance

    Arizona law requires consent of a parent/legal guardian for medical and mental health care of minors. If you will be under 18 when classes begin, ask your parent/legal guardian to complete the Consent to Treat Minor form so you can be treated by Campus Health.


    Living on campus in the dorms is a great way to become part of the University of Arizona community. Our dorms offer a great way to meet people, live close to your classes and campus activities and provide a strong support system to help you adjust to life in America and our university campus. Did you know that students who live in a dorm on campus at least one year have a 50% higher 4-year graduation rate than students who never live in a dorm?

    Choices for Living On Campus

    • Academic year (August – May, closes during winter break)
    • Academic year and winter break (August – May, open during winter break)
    • Summer housing for students attending Summer school

    Most of our dorm rooms are doubles (for two people). We also offer some single rooms (one person) and apartment-style options (up to four people). Most of the dorms have community bathrooms on their floor or wing, which are shared by students of the same gender. We also have a few dorms with different types of bathrooms: a suite-style bathroom, where two rooms of students of the same gender share a bathroom; and a private bathroom inside the room, where the students in the room share a bathroom. All of our buildings have a community kitchen which is mostly used for cooking small meals or snacks.

    Rooms include all furniture, utilities (water, electricity, gas, air conditioning/heating), local telephone service (phone not included), and internet and Wi-Fi access.

    Get Started

    Additional Services

    If you choose to live off campus, the University of Arizona has an Off-Campus Housing department which offers free services for students. On the Off-Campus Housing website, you can search for places to live, learn about apartment contracts and questions to ask your roommate.

    The closest hotels to campus are the Marriott Tucson University Park, Aloft Tucson University and Graduate Hotel. With a variety of lodging and dining options, the Visit Tucson website is another good resource for finding accommodations. In general, hotels require guests to be at least 18 years old to reserve a room.


    Once you complete your orientation process, you will see the CatCard item in your Next Steps Center. Distribution of the CatCard ID will happen once you are on campus. You will receive an email to your CatMail with the time and location for pick-up.