Educational Opportunities

On This Page: Adult Education K-12 Education

Adult Education

F-2 dependents can enroll for less than a full course of study at an SEVP-certified college, university or community college, even if that part-time study eventually leads to a degree or certificate.

F-2 Undergraduate Enrollment Limits

  • 11 units or less per semester

F-2 Graduate Enrollment Limits

  • 8 units or less per semester
  • 2 units per semester (if only registered in 900 level)
  • 1 unit in Advanced Status is not allowed

F-2 dependents who want to study full-time at the post-secondary level need to change to F-1 status. Meet with an international student advisor for more information.

F-2 dependents may also participate part-time or full-time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies.

There are no enrollment restrictions for J-2 dependents.

K-12 Education

F-2 and J-2 dependents can attend full-time study at the K-12 level (elementary, middle or high school) without additional permission or documentation from Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). 

Minors between the ages of six and sixteen are legally required to attend school. Your dependents can attend a public K-12 school at no additional cost and will be placed in a certain grade level according to their age. Dependents 16 years of age and older are welcome to access Adult Education Services (outside traditional K-12 schooling).

Frequently Asked Questions

The Arizona K-12 public system includes traditional school districts, charter schools and private schools. Pima County K-12 schools in traditional public school districts must accept all children who live within their boundaries. Charter schools, however, are usually subjected to limited enrollment and are not required to admit everyone. For more information about charter school enrollment and requirements, contact the specific school of your interest.

Children may enroll in public schools outside of their home school and home district boundaries through an open enrollment process that is required every school year. For more information about the open enrollment process and requirements, contact the specific school of your interest.

Private schools in Arizona are not required to comply with the Arizona Department of Education requirements. Contact the specific school of your interest for more information on their admission requirements.


To enroll your child in an Arizona public school, you need 3 documents: proof of age and identity, proof of home residency, and immunization records. We encourage you to contact the school district for specific information on their admission requirements and alternative documents.

Proof of age and identity may include one of the following:

  • Copy of your child's birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Original school registration records from another public or private school

Proof of home residency is required to confirm that students live in Arizona (regardless of immigration status). However, if a child is in a temporary home, homeless, or otherwise cannot provide proof of home residency, schools must still allow them to enroll in a public school through the McKinney-Vento Act. Proof of residency may include one of the following:

  • A copy of your Arizona driver's license or state ID card
  • A utility bill that includes your address
  • A lease or rental agreement
  • A bank or credit card statement

Immunization records are required for all children attending any K-12 school. Review the Arizona Guide to Immunizations Required for Entry (to K-12 schools).

For children 18 years of age or under, there is no fee for immunizations. Immunizations are available at Pima County Clinics as well as clinics offering sliding fee schedule services for under- and uninsured clients. Under state law, a child cannot attend school until the school receives either proof of immunization or a completed exemption form.