When planning UA travel to Mexico, please take the following precautions:
- Register your travel as soon as possible, providing time for: risk assessment of the travel plans; safety recommendations for the trip, and; additional approvals, when necessary.
- Refer to the U.S. Department of State Mexico Travel Advice. If possible, limit, avoid, or defer travel to areas rated Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) or Level 4 (Do Not Travel). Anticipate additional approvals required for travel to these areas.
- Minimize driving. When driving is necessary, do so during daylight and to the greatest extent feasible, use only major roadways.
- Students and employees must be allowed to opt out of travel if they wish, and must be provided with an alternative to participation.
- In addition to travel registration, faculty, staff and students who are U.S. citizens are recommended to register with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This free system provides timely alerts to travelers and allows Embassy staff to rapidly locate and contact travelers in the event of an emergency situation in the area being visited. The STEP program is available here.