Passports FAQ

Passports FAQ

Yes, you need an appointment. UA passports no longer accepts walk-ins. We accept scheduled appointments only. Please schedule a passport processing appointment.

You can check at or our personal website at

You need your first and last name, date of birth and last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.

No. Once we execute the application, it becomes the property of the Department of State. We are not authorized to give you a number or tracking number.

The average time per applicant is 15 minutes. 

It means that your product will come to you as fast as the Department of state can process your application. Check for current processing times.

Yes, it will cost an extra $60 for each application.

You need 6 things:

  1. A completed DS-11 form. We do not execute renewals (DS-82s)
  2. Citizenship Evidence
  3. An acceptable ID
  4. Name Change Information, if applicable.
  5. Personal check, cashier's check, or a money order for the Department of State fees.
  6. Bring a credit or debit card for the University of Arizona fees.

The passport book is universal and used for flying in and out of the country. The card is more for land traveling and some cruises. The card can also be used as a secondary ID.

The DS-11 application is a longer form for first-time applicants, renewals of 5-year (children's) passports, and adults who got their last passport more than 15 years ago. The DS-11 requires execution by an agent and a $35 execution fee. A DS-82 application is a mail-in only form for people who need to renew their 10-year passport issued less than 15 years ago. It does not need execution and does not need an execution fee.

It depends on the Department of State and the backlog of applicants. Please check for current processing times.

The only way to get your product sooner than expedited processing is to call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, no sooner than TWO WEEKS to your travel date and try to get an appointment at a Department of State processing facility. No walk-ins are allowed at the Department of State facilities. For more information visit Get my passport fast.

No, we do not have another way to reach the National Passport Information Center. Keep trying to reach them through the 1-877-487-2778 number and eventually, you will get through.

We secure all your documents in a locked cabinet BEFORE being mailed out. Once we execute your application and it leaves the facility, it is out of our control.  You must call the Department of State and ask about your documents. 

We cannot accept cards or cash on behalf of the Department of State. The governmental application fees are payable by personal check, bank check (i.e. cashier's check), or money order. The execution and/or photo fee is payable to the university with debit/credit only. We do not accept personal checks for execution or photo fees.

Most grocery stores will allow you to obtain a money order with a debit card. Some convenience stores can do it if you have cash. You can get a cashier’s check from your bank. 

No, it does not have to be your own personal check. As long as you obtained consent to use the check, it is permissible.    

Yes, you must fill out at least the bare minimum information of name, gender, and citizenship. 

Yes. The Department of State requires original documents for verification before issuing a passport. You will get them back after the passport book has been issued in a separate envelope via USPS.

For 5-year books, the application is a DS-11.

Yes. Both parents must sign the application unless the child is at least 16-17 years old. Once a child reaches the age of 16, then only one parent needs to be there to sign the application.

Please bring a notarized consent form with a photocopy of the absent parent’s front and back ID.

It can be any number of things. We unfortunately cannot tell you why unless we review the letter. 

Unfortunately, no. We are not the Department of State. You can track your application status through If you have already applied and have urgent travel, you must call 1-877-487-2778 to get more information. 

The Department of State does not allow acceptance agents to execute. For more information, please see the FAQ section at

The $35 is an execution fee set by the Department of State. We stamp your application and mail it to the Department of State for processing.

We are an acceptance facility and are unable to print passport books or cards. 

You must file the information with the Department of State. Report your passport lost or stolen

You will need to fill out a DS-11 application and include either the email confirmation from the Department of State or a DS-63 Lost or Stolen form. You will also need to resubmit citizenship evidence. 

We are not able to look up any information. You must call the number provided by the Department of State or to report non-receipt.

Yes, but we do not offer digital photos. Walgreens or CVS may be able to do that for you.

Our business hours can be very busy and we are not always available to answer the phone. The best way to reach us is via email at We will answer within one business day.

Unfortunately, no. This is not allowed per the Department of State. If you are unable to fill out your form, you will need to obtain help with that prior to coming to UA Passports.

You will need to fill out a form DS-5504 and follow the mailing directions on that form. You do not need to fill out another application, nor do you need to come to an acceptance facility. The form and other information are available on the Change or Correct a Passport section of

No, it will be mailed to whatever address you have on the front of your application.